The Board of Trustees
Working closely with the Chair and board of trustees, the primary role of Chief Executive is to provide inspirational leadership, based on Christian principles. You will share in the core aims and values of the college as we seek to provide a distinctive opportunity for underprivileged young Zambians, alongside developing the successful commercial workshop.
- In conjunction with the Chair and Trustees, develop and deliver the strategy and direction of MfA
- Develop a financial plan, advising the Trustees on future budgetary requirements and major capital projects
- Develop a strategy innovating and growing all areas of the college and workshop, including support functions and services.
- Develop, agree, and manage the annual budget, submitting monthly reports to the board of trustees
- Provide monitoring and forecasts for the future financial performance of the MfA
- Ensure effective systems are in place to meet budgets and to identify and take steps to mitigate any risk
- Implement proper systems of recording keeping, accounting, payment of staff salaries and pensions, compliance, risk management and internal contract in accordance with law (both Zambian and UK), charitable status and such policies as are approved by the trustees
- To control costs by robust procurement and contract management, ensuring adequate systems and processes are in place
- Lead on fundraising campaigns.
- Lead on planning and implementing the calendar of events
- Facilitate the interconnected operations of the workshop and college, to enhance learning opportunities for students and maintain commercial productivity
- Oversee management of support staff and ensure administrative duties and statutory returns are fulfilled
- Oversee the maintenance, security and use of college and workshop buildings
- Manage risk throughout the college and workshop, ensuring necessary risk assessments are undertaken and adequate insurance cover in place
- Supervise the maintenance and efficiency of the installations and plant for utilities and ICT
- Oversight of cleaning and catering services, ensuring hygiene and food safety standards
- Ensure compliance with Zambian health and safety legislation, having due regard for that of the UK.
- Provide inspiring leadership to the team, giving staff confidence and motivation to develop a collaborative learning culture
- Give clear direction, setting objectives in line with vision and values
- To be responsible for staff management and performance, including holding annual appraisals and regular reviews
- Ensure compliance with Zambian employment law and that all staff have contracts of employment.
- Maintain regular contact with the Chair of trustees, and develop strong links with the wider board of trustees, both in Zambia and the UK
- Oversee digital marketing to ensure website and social media is up to date and consistent with the key messages to promote MfA to current and potential students, clients and supporters
- Manage the reputation of MfA, creating and directing media opportunities where appropriate
- Oversee distribution of regular newsletters and other communications to supporters
- Make UK representation visits as required
- Maintain contact with statutory authorities and other organisations
- Represent MfA, enhancing engagement with other charities, colleges and the local community.
This job description is not a comprehensive definition of the post; duties may vary within this framework in line with its general character and level of responsibility entailed. The duties outlined in this job description may be modified by the Trustees to reflect or anticipate changes in the role.
Terms and conditions
• Salary appropriate to the local context, around £15,000 per annum
• A large four-bed house on the college grounds in Ndola, Zambia
• Use of an MfA vehicle
• Fuel allowance
• Electricity, internet, and water bills
• Tuition fees for up to 3 dependents at premier Copperbelt private school, Simba International, 10 minutes from the college campus
• Funded trip to the UK every second year (but please note that the successful applicant may be required to make more frequent work-ing visits to the UK).